Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Bread

Come fall, I love decorating my kitchen table and counter tops with seasonal veggies like squash, pumpkin, gourds, and colourful corn. I love the different and weird shapes and bright oranges, yellows, reds and browns. So pretty!
On the way up to our weekend place, Christian and I like to stop in at an old-order Mennonite-run farmer's market outside of the tiny village of Gorrie. They always have a ton of extremely reasonably priced produce, as well as jars of pickled whatnot and baked goods. It's a small, simple, place with no pretention - a great place to get fresh produce.
On one sunny fall morning not so long ago, I was on my own and stopped at that same market. Christian is usually with me, so, frankly, there was no one to curb my fall-inspired enthusiasm and say something like, "Hey, do we really need so many squash? Can you even eat that corn anyway? And, what are we going to do with that giant 25 pound crazy looking orange gourd?" Long story short, I spent every last penny (good thing they take only cash) and the backseat of the car was FULL all the way across and up to the windows with small and giant gourds, pumpkins, squash, colourful corn big and small, pears, apples, trees of brussel sprouts...
As a result, my kitchen has more fall cheer than usual. I think you could say it looks like a cornucopia exploded in there.

So anyway, that's why I made this Pumpkin bread recipe.

I adapted it (quite a bit) from a Betty Crocker recipe - making it, (by accident), more healthy!

Pumpkin Spice Bread

2 1/2 c of roasted pumpkin (split a pumpkin in half, take out the seeds and goo, and put it face down on a sheet at 350 degrees for about 40 min or until the inside is mushy - you can mash the pumpkin if there are some chunks)
1 c sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
4 tbsp of ground flax seed and 12 tbsp of water (or 4 eggs - I used the flax seed and water substitute cause I didn't have any eggs)
3 c light spelt flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix wet thoroughly, then mix dry, and then mix them together - don't over mix or it'll get too stiff. Grease a loaf pan and pour the mixture in.
350 degrees for 1 hour

No comments:

Post a Comment