Thursday, January 27, 2011

Lamb

My husband and I have ordered a whole lamb to put in the freezer. So excited! We eat a lot of lamb and it's a cost savings to buy in bulk. We're getting the meat from our favourite farm and butcher in the region, Charles Quality Meats. Their meat is free of chemicals and antibiotics and very tasty.
I didn't start liking lamb until my mid twenties and now I'm hooked - probably my favourite meat. I used to turn my nose up at anything even slightly gamey (anything other than your standard chicken breast, roast beef, or pork chop basically), but having tried more lamb dishes, especially the rack of lamb (hello! jump into my belly please!) that my darling husband (who actually is an intuitive cook - I'm a wee bit jealous ;) has prepared for nearly every one of my birthdays over the years, I've grown to love lamb.
I made a ground lamb Indian-style curry the other night that turned out well, but as I wasn't following any recipe, it wasn't quite right in terms of spicing. I'd like to start perfecting that recipe and blog about it here. If you don't think you love lamb, this is actually the perfect recipe to try because ground lamb is the least gamey and the easiest to eat.
Here's what I did:

Ground lamb curry
Brown meat (with a little water so it doesn't stick) in a large pot (about 1-1.5 pounds)
Note: I cooked it from frozen since I am rarely in the frame of mind to actually plan a meal, and it works very well. Just put a cover on the pot and break up the meat into as finely ground pieces as you like as it thaws and cooks. Cook the meat until not pink, and then pour off the excess fat, leaving some for flavour.
Add:
Chopped onion or two
A few garlic cloves diced or squeezed through a garlic press
The following spices to taste: ground cumin, coriander, garam masala (just a little), cinnamon (just a little), turmeric (all of these spices can be found at many Indian-style food stores. I like Onkar Foods and Spices in Kitchener)
Stir it around and let the onions soften, making sure it has enough liquid to prevent sticking
Add around 4 cups of either diced or pureed tomatoes
Stir and simmer for around 40 min.
If you want it saucier, add some hot water.
Taste, and adjust seasoning.
Serve!

I ate this with brown rice and it lasted two people a few meals.

3 comments:

  1. this one sounds good and I want to go home and try it rightthissecond. can I be dismissed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. go home. and bring me leftovers tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a lamb as a pet. NOT DINNER! Bahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete